Tuesday 1 April 2014

Academic Affairs,SONU is my Docket-Doreen Mwihaki


I am Doreen Mwihaki, a student of Economics and Statistics at the University of Nairobi and the outgoing congress lady of Hall 14 (Stella Awinja). I am vying for the post of Academics Affairs secretary.
The University of Nairobi, once a leading centre for innovation has become complacent and if nothing is done now, other institutions in the country might topple us from the pedestal. We need to reaffirm our position as a world class academic institution.
I urge all student leaders not to be motivated by selfish agendas and fight for power and popularity but not service to their comrades. Self seeking has brought a cesspit of incompetency and inefficiency in representing the student’s welfare.
During my tenure as the Stella Awinja’s congress lady, there were so many complaints of harassment by the staff especially over the issue of preparing meals in their rooms. 11 months later the hostel occupants who are mostly first years have had very minimal encounter with the staff regarding the issue. For I knew not every student could afford buying food from the cafeteria and to enable sustainability, the administration had to meet us halfway. In addition, I opened up a study room and refurnished it,only final touches remaining and made embellishment in the hostel including repainting to make it more homely. And in the spirit of community outreach we frequently organized charity events as a hostel and touch lives of the disadvantaged in the society orphans.
I am an academician; I study ACCA (Associated Chartered Certified Accountants) alongside Statistical Economics and honored having secured a position in a Berlin Academic and Cultural Conference to represent Kenyan students. My interest to see an excelling academic institution in UoN, all students getting equality in the dissemination of knowledge and having a functional communication channel on arising academic issues is my main motive to run for the Academic Affairs docket.
I believe in teamwork for any management to be productive and am calling to all comrades who share the same agenda with me to be engaged in my campaign.
MwenyeHaki na Academics!
#God bless UoN

No comments:

Post a Comment